30 Unique And Must-See Photos From Our Past
Alex Wain May 30, 2013 49
From landmarks in history, strange feats of physical endurance through to peculiar devices & oddball characters we hope this series of images will astound, confound and enthrall you.
1. Unpacking the Head of the Statue of Liberty delivered June 17, 1885
2. The hippo belonged to a circus and apparently enjoyed pulling the cart as a trick 1924
3. Charlie Chaplin in 1916 at the age of 27
4. Annie Edison Taylor (1838-1921), the first person to survive going over Niagara Falls in a barrel in 1901.
5. Sharing bananas with a goat during the Battle of Saipan, ca. 1944
6. Advertisement for Atabrine, an anti-malaria drug. Papua, New Guinea during WWII
7. Artificial legs, United Kingdom, ca. 1890
8. 1920′s lifeguard
9. Bookstore ruined by an air raid, London 1940
10. Testing new bulletproof vests, 1923
11. Suntan vending machine, 1949
13. Unknown soldier in Vietnam, 1965
14. Little girl comforting her doll in the ruins of her bomb damaged home, London, 1940
15. Illegal alcohol being poured out during Prohibition, Detroit 1929
16. Austrian boy receives new shoes during WWII
17. Construction of the Berlin wall, 1961
18. Animals being used as a part of medical therapy in 1956
19. Hitler’s officers and cadets celebrating Christmas, 1941
20. Children eating their Christmas dinner during the Great Depression: turnips and cabbage
21. The real Winnie the Pooh and Christopher Robin, ca. 1927
22. Abraham Lincoln’s hearse, 1865
23. A most beautiful suicide – 23 year old Evelyn McHale leapt to her death from an observation deck (83rd floor) of the Empire State Building, May 1, 1947. She landed on a United Nations limousine…
24. A mom and her son watch the mushroom cloud after an atomic test 75 miles away, Las Vegas, 1953
25. A penniless mother hides her face in shame after putting her children up for sale, Chicago, 1948
26. Annette Kellerman promoted women’s right to wear a fitted one-piece bathing suit, 1907… She was arrested for indecency.
27. Martin Luther King Jr. with his son by his side removing a burnt cross from his front yard, 1960
28. Walter Yeo, one of the first people to undergo advanced plastic surgery & a skin transplant.
29. Princeton students after a freshman vs. sophomores snowball fight in 1893
30. Melted and damaged mannequins after a fire at Madam Tussaud’s Wax Museum in London, 1930